Saturday, September 23, 2006

Busy week...

Yes, indeed...

Tuesday. Drive down to North Devon for the first day of shooting for 'Jam and Jerusalem'. New series with Jennifer Saunders, Dawn French, Joanna Lumley. Sunny day, filming around the town square, and a beautiful church and churchyard.
Great stuff. Met an interesting guy, Ed Dahl, whose just getting going with writing for tv and radio.

Wednesday. Across to Bath for a fitting for 'The Other Boleyn Girl'. They only offered tea and coffee, so afterwards I headed out of the industrial estate to the next industrial estate down the road. Found what I was looking for, the bacon butty post. I wanted a bacon sandwich. But all there was on the menu was a roll or a baguette. The roll looked pretty small on the photo so I ordered a baguette. A bacon one with mushrooms. When it arrived it was enormous. So I headed back to the car with my coffee and baguette, and tried to eat this thing. The only way I could manage without spilling the contents all over my lap was to steadily stuff it into my mouth, a continuous process of swallowing and, 2 inches forward of that, chewing until it was all gone. I sat there for several minutes, bloated, feeling..., "I wish I hadn't done that..."

Ah yes, the film. Costume drama. Anne Boleyne's more beautiful sister. Natalie Portman, Scarlet Johannsen. Sony Pictures, lots of money..., for the lead actors.

As I was driving home, I had a call from the Bath agent, asking if I was interested in a job in North Taunton. I said yes to that.

Thursday. 'North Taunton' turned out to be Blue Anchor, West Somerset, at a beachside pub 2 miles alomg the road from Watchet, the town where my family had lived 35 years ago.
I played a Swedish fisherman in 'Victoria Cross Heroes'. Like a furnace inside about 5 layers of fisherman's clothing. The outer clothes were a kind of oiled, or waxed, cotton trousers and a smock-like top, with all the wool and cotton layers, vest, shirt, jumper etc. If the day had been a real winter day those clothes would have been wonderful, and very light too.

A press photographer for a lot of the local newspapers came down, and photographed me and the other fisherman. He'll send me copies, so I'm looking forward to that.

No comments: